Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Khurasan Salamen Paint Scheme Concept

When I painted my lizard man army, I missed an opportunity to do something more interesting than green. So, taking no chances with the Khurasan Salamen, I went online and found pictures of real salamanders. There are a lot of cool schemes possible but this is my favorite:


And here's my proof of concept:


It looks much better from gaming distance - but I'll still tighten up the yellow a bit. I only have 8 more to paint (8 archers and 1 shaman). 

The only downside of the evening was discovering that my favorite red paint had dried out - it was to function as the base red for Kievski regiment. Looks like I'll be placing that order sometime soon.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Very cool! It looks pretty good from the picture. My problem when doing things like this (including camo) is how to highlight and shade it effectively.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chris! I have the same problem with highlighting/shading. In this case, I decided I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's just black washed with a blue Citadel wash, and I used Delta Ceramcoat Opaque Yellow (which as it turns out, isn't. So some of the edges of the camo are darker). For the next one, I think I will "highlight" the black with a navy blue dry brush, and hit some of the yellow on the high spots with a pale yellow to see what happens.

      Delete
  2. Nice work! Although I do tend to favor green myself it's cool to see other color schemes, especially ones based on nature. Certainly food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Fitz-Badger! With 50 or so green lizard men, I wanted, needed, to try something different. I wish I could remember where I came across the idea to paint lizard men (and related type troops) based on nature so I could give attribution.

      Delete